Re: help with an unknown character

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 01:33:09 +0200

2013-01-11 1:04, Elbrecht wrote:

> the URL is:
>
> www.elbrecht.com/SW.png

Well, the *URL* is
http://www.elbrecht.com/SW.png
or
http://elbrecht.com/SW.png

(I really thought it was just a local filename when I saw your first email.)

> problem is, there isn't any context in the book itself -
> just an erractic character on the hardcover:
>
> www.elbrecht.com/PC.png

That is, http://www.elbrecht.com/PC.png

But this still isn’t much, and in the original email you wrote…

>>> On title of a 1932/33 book on the "Principle of Contradiction" -
>>> a mathematical/logical character in use for book printing???

… so the real title is different, and we still don’t know the author.

In any case, if the symbol *only* appears in the title page of the book,
not in the textual content, it is fair to classify it as a graphic
rather than a character – whatever it might mean.

The page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contradiction (which isn’t
particularly convincing or otherwise important) refers to the LaTeX
Symbol List
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/TeX/CTAN/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf
which describes, in clause “3 Mathematical Symbols”, some notations used
for contradiction. None of them resembles much the symbol in the image.
What comes closest is \blitza, but it’s still rather different, and
there is no information of what it might be in Unicode terms.

Yucca