OT: Need howto info for typing accented chars on US keyboard in Linux

From: Leslie Turriff <jlturriff_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:47:19 -0600

        I've been searching the web for information about how to type accented
characters (French) using a US 104-key keyboard. I understand that a compose
key is involved, but everything I've found so far has involved adding
character<=>key mappings using xmodmap, whereas it appears that one does not
need to do that; but there seems to be an assumption that just saying "press
the compose key and..." magic happens.
        Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something that explains the various
combinations, etc.?

        Thanks,

Leslie