Re: End of story character

From: Mark E. Shoulson <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:44:56 -0500

On 01/25/2013 08:12 AM, Jo dm wrote:
> I dont know of its use outside of Hungary, but here, as the quote of
> Halmos suggests, the tombstone is traditionally used in print
> magazines as end of story. We have adopted it to the web on the
> Weblabor magazine, where it stands at the end of all blog posts, so
> the reader knows if it worths to open the story on its own, or the
> excerpt on the front page was the whole story.
> We had a problem with U+220E END OF PROOF though, as in most fonts it
> is a rectangle, while in traditional use it is almost always a perfect
> square. So we decided to use U+25A0 BLACK SQUARE instead, which has
> its own problem since it really is oversized for this usage, so we had
> to mark it up and scale it down.
Most of the times I've seen it, it's actually some form of a logo of the
magazine in question, or at least a square with the magazine's
initial(s) in it. Those all seem to be specialized forms of END OF PROOF
to me. It fits the semantics too; a black block at the end of the
article. If some magazines use squarer blocks and some more rectangular,
that's glyph variation.

A good start at a counterexample might be a math journal that uses
different-shaped blocks at the ends of its proofs and articles. Still
might just be different fonts, but it does start to address it at least.