Re: Case-folding dotted i

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 17:19:09 +0000

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:57:26 +0100
Joó Ádám <adam_at_jooadam.hu> wrote:

> The
> dot above i and j may be considered as a glyphic feature, but it can
> also be considered as the addition of a diacritic for whtever reason.
> The reason of course was typographical, but from an encoding point of
> view this does not necessarily matter. Cf. the use of diaresis in
> English words like coöperation, which is also typographical,
> nevertheless explicitly encoded.

The diaeresis potentially contrasts words; it indicates a syllable
boundary, and prevents hybrids like ‘zoology’, where the vowel of the
first syllable has been infected by the 'oo'. (For actually
contrasting words, it’s vary rare - ‘coöp’ v. ‘coop’ is the best I could
come up with quickly, and the former is normally spelt ‘co-op’.)

Richard.