Re: s-j combination in Unicode?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:51:45 -0800

On 2/13/2013 2:56 PM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Andries Brouwer <aebr_at_win.tue.nl> wrote:
>> I wondered how to code an s-j overstrike combination in Unicode.
> I'd write "s ZWJ j" and use a font that has the appropriate ligature.

These features in Unicode aren't intended as just "hacks" to get the
right appearance. The idea is that you can encode the intention of the
author more directly. Unless the overstruck sj form happens to be
nothing more than fancy presentation of an otherwise normal <s, j> sequence.

A ZWJ doesn't let you indicate whether you want an overstuck form or
some other fused form, that choice would reside in the font - making the
solution font dependent - which doesn't quite seem the correct approach.

Otherwise, why not use the BS control code. In the old days of teletypes
that would nicely produce this "overstruck" effect. No need to define
another format character if all you want to do is restore the semantics
of that old control character.

A./