Re: German »ß«

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:05:30 +0000 (GMT)

On 2013-02-16, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> 2013/2/16 Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>:
>> Of course in my worldview, all-caps writing is deprecated :-)
>
> This is a presentation style which makes words more readable in some
> conditions, notably on plates displayed on roads (cities are extremely
> rarely written in lowercase, as this is more difficult to read from
> far away when driving).

Half a century ago, the UK, after extensive empirical testing,
mandated mixed case for road signs because it is significantly easier
to read at speed.
Our cousins across the Atlantic have finally caught on, and
the U.S. Federal Highway Administration now mandates mixed case for
place names, while leaving fixed wording in all caps.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.