Re: Private Use Area

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:09:22 +0000 (GMT)

The first sentence of section 16.5 is as follows.

quote

Private-use characters are assigned Unicode code points whose interpretation is not specified by this standard and whose use may be determined by private agreement among cooperating users.

end quote

Suppose that there is a person, perhaps someone who is trying to produce a font, for whom the Private Use Areas is something that he or she has not encountered before he or she reads that sentence.

Is there ambiguity in that sentence such that such a person, a not unreasonable person, could ask himself or herself the following question?

Where can I find some cooperating users who will make a private agreement among themselves in order that I can make my font using code points from a Private Use Area?

William Overington