Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 00:41:40 +0100

2013/3/9 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
> This appears to be another possible mistake. However, the Greek script does
> provide a context which could be used to select the "ano teleia" appearance
> and properties (unless you tell me that the character appears in Greek
> surrounded by non-Greek alphabet characters).

And even this basic rule will be defeated in maths formulas where the
MIDDLE DOT 00B7 has been used as a common multiplication operator,
along with numbers and variables named after Greek letter. Of course
Unicode has now distinctive symbols for maths, but that's another
story.

There's no reliably way to contextually infer an ano teleia rendering
(on the middle of the x-height instead of the middle of the M-height,
the intended redering for 00B7 which also works when the middle dot is
used as an appended diacritic after the letter L/l in Catalan) where
it would break the common appearance between digits with the intended
same meaning as a multiplication sign, for text that are not encoded
using Maths operators but legacy Greek letters and 00B7.