Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:10:02 +0100

2013/3/11 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:27:35 +0100
> Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> 2013/3/10 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>:
>
>> > If we unify U+00B7's three possible roles of (a) digraph breaker,
>> > (b) ano teleia and (c) decimal point, we could have the following
>> > scheme:
>
>> > (1) Before digit, use decimal point glyph;
>> > (2) Else before letter, use digraph breaker glyph;
>
>> Note that this case 2 includes Catalan where it is more than just a
>> digraph breaker (between two l/L), and where it plays a role similar
>> to a diacritic for the letter (l/L) before it. This complicates things
>> a bit when the letter before it is a capital L, because it will be
>> typically be kerned into it (ecept possibly in cursive decorated
>> fonts).
>
> Are you sure that's <U+004C, U+00B7> and not U+013F? They're not
> canonically equivalent. I didn't see any kerning with Libreoffice's
> default font.

Canonical equivalence is not an issue here.

But it's a fact that encoded Catalan texts can use either U+013F or
<U+004C, U+00B7> alternatively, and so they should be treated as
equivalent in the Catalan collation (with a minor difference only
exposed at the final code points level, but not seen at levels 1-3).

And I don't see why <U+004C, U+00B7> should not be kerned and finally
rendered exactly like U+013F, in a Catalan text (you need to activate
language-specific features for Catalan : this kerning would be
implemented as a positioning feature, with a contextual substitution
that makes U+00B7 zero-width, or as a contextual ligaturing
substitution rule transforming the pair into the same glyph id as
U+013F, in that Catalan feature).