CLDR Version 23 Released

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:11:32 -0700

Unicode CLDR 23 has been released, providing an update to the key
building blocks for software supporting the world's languages.

Unicode CLDR 23.0 contains data for 215 languages and 227
territories---654 locales in all. This release focused primarily on
improvements to the LDML structure and tools, and on consistency of
data. It includes substantially improved support for non-Gregorian
calendars (such as the Japanese Imperial calendar used extensively in
Japan). The data and structure has also been modified to easily permit
changing between 12 and 24 hour formats, and between 2 digit and 4 digit
years. The new Unicode character is used for the Turkish Lira, and
information is provided for currencies that round to 5 cents (or other
subunits) in cash transactions. For most languages that use non-Latin
scripts, characters in the language's script now collate before those in
other scripts (including A-Z). Language-specific letter-casing changes
(Lower, Upper, Title) have been added for Azerbaijani, Greek,
Lithuanian, and Turkish. Keyboard data has also been updated for
Android. Also, as of this release, the LDML specification is split into
multiple parts, each focusing on a particular area.

The release had a short cycle so that we could move to the new regular
semi-annual schedule <http://cldr.unicode.org/#TOC-2013Q1-Release>. It
thus only included a limited data submission phase, for 4 languages
only: Armenian (hy), Georgian (ka), Mongolian (mn), and Welsh (cy). For
those languages, the data increased by over 100%.

      About the Unicode Consortium

The Unicode Consortium is a non-profit organization founded to develop,
extend and promote use of the Unicode Standard and related globalization
standards. The membership of the consortium represents a broad spectrum
of corporations and organizations in the computer and information
processing industry. Members are: Adobe Systems, Apple, Google,
Government of Andhra Pradesh, Government of Bangladesh, Government of
India, IBM, Microsoft, Monotype Imaging, Oracle, SAP, Tamil Virtual
University, The University of California (Berkeley), Yahoo!, plus well
over a hundred Associate, Liaison, and Individual members. For more
information, please contact the Unicode Consortium
http://www.unicode.org/contacts.html.

http://unicode-inc.blogspot.com/2013/03/cldr-version-23-released.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements