Re: Encoding localizable sentences (was: RE: UTC Document Register Now Public)

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 12:52:33 -0700

> Not perfect, perhaps, but perfectly comprehensible. And the application will even
> do a very decent job of text to speech for you.
and
> The quality of the
> translation for these kinds of applications has rapidly improved in recent years

Not that the ability of MT to deal with long/discontinuous dependencies
or morphology impresses me. And not that this is gonna significantly
change without actual natural language understanding (read: major
advances in AI) – this is not only my opinion.

/But/ I'd argue that the distance of the information content of such
low-quality translations to the information content conveyed by correct
and polished language is often tolerable. Grammar isn't that important
for getting one's point across.

Images such as those shown on the linked webpage don't convey any
subtlety. This is a different problem from the morphology or syntax
being broken in a present-day, "state of the art" :-) MT rendition. But
I don't see how such images would constitute an improvement, as far as
information transmission is concerned.

Stephan