Re: Encoding localizable sentences

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:55:07 -0400

On 04/19/2013 04:51 PM, Tom Gewecke wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Whistler, Ken wrote:
>

>> As regards any possible case for encoding localizable sentences *as
>> characters*,
>> in my opinion, the train long ago left the station for that one.
>
> Indeed, people have been devising systems for representing words and
> sentences via ordinary numbers that worked just fine for at least 170
> years.
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=4FIpAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Those aren't readable without special training. But there have been
various other attempts, and I think the stuff at
http://www.kwikpoint.com/ could do a surprisingly good job at a whole
lot of situations.

Turning Unicode into a traveler's phrasebook really doesn't seem to be
what characters are meant for, nor how they're used.

~mark