Re: Encoding localizable sentences (was: RE: UTC Document Register Now Public)

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:01:43 +0100 (BST)

On Monday 22 April 2013, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I'm always suspicious if someone wants to discuss scope of the standard before demonstrating a compelling case on the merits of wide-spread actual use.

The reason that I want to discuss the scope is because there is uncertainty. If people are going to spend a lot of time and effort in the research and development of a system whether the effort would all be wasted if the system, no matter how good and no matter how useful were to come to nothing because it would be said that encoding such a system in Unicode would be out of scope.

A ruling that such a system, if developed and shown to be useful, would be within scope for encoding in Unicode would allow people to research and develop the system with the knowledge that there will be a clear pathway of opportunity ahead if the research and development leads to good results.

So, I feel that wanting to discuss the scope of Unicode so as to clear away uncertainty that may be blocking progress in research and development is a straightforward and reasonable thing to do.

William Overington