Re: Suggestion for new dingbats/symbols

From: Asmus Freytag (w) <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:37:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I think that research that does precisely this kind of task of correlating symbol repertoires against each other is extremely valuable in its own right.

Additional research that documents the usage of these symbols -- in computing environments -- would also be useful.

Reliable facts on users and the tasks in which they use particular symbols (represented in filed and data) would be a better basis to argue about possible encodings than just the existence of symbols or whether they are highly recognizable when seen on signage.

Having said that, documenting the details of ongoing efforts at understanding symbols by posting each small finding on this list is probably inappropriate. That kind of effort belongs in a research project aimed at symbols.

A./