Re: Hanzi trad-simp folding and z-variants

From: john knightley <john.knightley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 19:34:00 +0800

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Stephan Stiller
<stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> The situation also tends to be complex once one steps putside of
>> Putonghua.
>>
> Given that the situation there is a lack of standardization (and a lack of
> tables laying out variant spellings), I don't think anything other than
> radical, hand-tuned folding to cover all possibilities is sensible to query
> a "dialectal" database.

Some dialects such as Cantonese are quite well documented, simplification
is also found in for example Japanese CJK ideographs which is documented.
There is an increased interest in such things in recent years. One persons
'hand-tuned' of today can become the basis of a standard of tomorrow.

John