Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:01:52 +0100

About positioning:
Michael, you mentioned the issue of positioning of the diacritic, this
is a font issue not a character issue. I mentioned Navajo ogonek
because that is how it solves the issue of positioning, custom Navajo
fonts have centered ogoneks. Locale aware fonts and applications could
do this without the need of custom fonts.

About the shape:
As mentioned the issue of the shape can be solved at the locale
setting and font level.
If this needs to be solvable at the character level, using <CGJ,
combining cedilla> already works, font shapers do not replace the
glyph.
Even if <CGJ, combining dieresis> was not intended to indicate shape
or positioning difference, a font can easily have different shape or
positioning for it. For <CGJ, combining cedilla>, the CGJ already
prevents normalization to what most fonts have as a comma below glyph.
Some fonts have a glyph for CGJ and it is sometimes displayed in
applications but that is something that should be fixed in
applications. Things like t͡͏̇s <t, combining double inverted breve,
CGJ, combining dot, s> already requires this fix (CGJ shouldn't be
printed and the following combining mark should be positioned
correctly).

The conclusion of the ad hoc does not really solve the Marshallese
problem and doesn't even consider the known related cases.
A font can have a truncated cedilla shape for U+0327, this is
acceptable or tolerable in some languages like under C in French. If 4
additional characters were to be encoded for Marshallese, the other
Marshallese characters with cedilla would use an incorrect cedilla in
those fonts.
One might say these fonts should be fixed for Marshallese characters
with U+0327 or a different font should be used, but then the character
fix is incomplete.
Other orthographies or transliterations also require a cedilla that
looks like one.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2013, at 18:24, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> The X11 restriction of one character per key stroke is not so easy to get round.
>
> Get them to fix X11.

Denis Moyogo Jacquerye
African Network for Localisation http://www.africanlocalisation.net/
Nkótá ya Kongó míbalé --- http://info-langues-congo.1sd.org/