Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:42:41 +0100

On 21 Jun 2013, at 08:23, "Jörg Knappen" <jknappen_at_web.de> wrote:

> My opinion on the cedilla mess is the following:
>
> * Add preemptively LATIN [CAPITAL|LOWERCASE] LETTER * WITH CEDILLA ATTACHED for every Latvian/Livonian character currently in UNicode.

Why? Latvian and Livonian don't use letters with "proper" cedilla attached.

> (Don't use terms like MARSHALLESE [CAPITAL|LOWERCASE] LETTER [M|N] -- such entities don't exist from a character encoding point of view.)

Yes they do. Cf. U+0406 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I. The character name exists to distinguish it from other characters and to guide the user in the character's use.

> * Declare the list of exceptions to Cedilla rendering officially closed. Whenever another such thing (say, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P WITH COMMA BELOW / LATIN LOWERCASE LETTER P WITH TURNED COMMA ABOVE) occurs in real life, it will be encoded ... WITH COMMA BELOW.

I think that is understood, but where would you "declare" this?