Aw: Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Jörg Knappen <jknappen_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:17:33 +0200 (CEST)

Micheal Everson schrieb:

>>> Why? Latvian and Livonian don't use letters with "proper" cedilla attached.
>>
>> Maybe my english wasn't perfect here; of course I think that for writing Latvian the existing characters shall be used. I meant "for" in the sense of "foreach" or "for loop" in programming languages.

>I have no idea what that means. You want to add a bunch of new non-decomposed characters with a proper cedilla… why?

>> And yes, I think not only the four character required for marshallese, but also the other ones (g, k, and r).

>Why?

The first reason is to solve this problem completely and not only to resolve a Latvian-Marshallese conflict and leave some other exceptions for later.

The second reason is that the letter g, k, l, m, r with proper cedillas are currently not encodable using UNicode (because of the latvian exceptions and canonical composition/decomposition), but they should *obviously* be encodable.

>>> Yes they do. Cf. U+0406 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I. The character name exists to distinguish it from other characters and to guide the user in the character's use.
>>
>> But that character exists as a base letter with a distinct shape. There is no distinct base letter marshallese m or n.

>There is no decomposition. There is no base character + diacritic. The whole thing is a "letter" used in Marshallese. (It's just a name.)

Allthough there is the famous Goethe quote "Namen sind Schall und Rauch" I think good naming style matters, and I prefer the descripte style LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH PROPER CEDILLA (marshallese) to the ad-hoc style
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER MARSHALLESE LETTER L WITH CEDILLA. But this is a question of style and can be debatted endlessly without consensus.

--Jörg Knappen