writing in an alphabet with fewer letters: letter replacements

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 22:19:11 -0700

Hi folks,

For languages whose alphabets aren't too far apart (I'm thinking mostly
of the set of Latin-derived alphabets), what is a good place for finding
out how letter replacements for letters that are missing in a different
country/locale are done?

For example, how will an Icelander normally write his name on a form in
a foreign country that is lacking ð and þ?

I know of standards for transcribing foreign alphabets (by /target/
locale – Are they relevant here? If so, which?), but there must also be
popular practices (by /source/ locale) that have developed among each
locale's residents for traveling.

Are there comprehensive resources? If not, are efforts underway?

Stephan