RE: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:29:27 -0700

The word "support" has different meanings in the software industry. In
some contexts, it has a very restrictive meaning: "application X does
not support OS version Y" (or vice versa) doesn't just mean the
respective vendors don't offer technical support. It usually means the
application will not run at all under that OS, perhaps enforced by the
installer.

In the case of scripts or characters, I would expect "OS version X does
not support script Y" to mean there is no *out-of-the-box* support for
that script -- no fonts, keyboards, spell checkers, special rendering
engine support, etc. that ship with the OS or are available as a vendor
update. But I would still expect to be able to install my own fonts or
keyboard drivers, or copy and paste text in that script into an app or
document, and have the system apply some default behavior and not
actively prevent its use.

This is a general comment, and not specific to what level of "support"
any particular version of Windows or other OS provides for any
particular script, except for the Word/PUA situation I mentioned
earlier.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­