Re: Unicode code page and ☃.net

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 00:15:58 +0300

2013-07-29 23:42, James Lin wrote:

> I have a question regarding the supported Unicode code page.

There are no Unicode code pages.

> I thought
> once you have unicode code page loaded, all glyph or character should be
> able to map and display correctly regardless of which OS or language you
> are using?

The Unicode Standard does not require support to all characters as a
matter of conformance, still less correct rendering of them. It requires
that an implementation must not mess up with characters, to put it
informally. An implementation that displays “A” as “B” would be faulty;
but an implementation that is unable to display “A” at all could be
conforming.

> However, i have this snowman: ☃

It has a relatively good font support:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2603/fontsupport.htm
But it is quite possible that in some context, some font not containing
it is the one used to render a piece of text, and then a symbol of
unavailable glyph (like a small rectangle) should appear.

> but once i input www.☃.net into the URL field, the snowman displays empty.

It displays OK to me. But different web browsers may have different
routines for displaying URLs in the address box. These routines may use
a fixed font that has fairly limited character repertoire. The font may
depend on the OS, the language you are using (in some sense), or the
phase of the moon. Generally, we can expect modern web browsers to have
routines that can handle a large character repertoire in address fields,
but older browser may have difficulties in this respect.

Yucca