Re: MSKLC restrictions (was: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?)

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:44:37 +0100

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:49:07 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> However, the MSKLC does not allow the target of a (dead-key + another
> key) to produce another dead key, it can only produce an ouput string
> (containing at most four 16-bit code units). So dead keys cannot be
> chained.

Michael Kaplan gives a very plausible counterargument at
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2004/12/17/323257.aspx . It
was also my disappointing experience that MSKLC (an old version,
admittedly) would not allow dead-key plus other-key to yield a
'ligature', i.e. a sequence of code units. I discovered the problem
when I wanted a dead key as an alternative to AltGr - I was finding
AltGr a bit uncomfortable to use, but re-engraving the keyboard was not
an option.

Richard.