Re: polytonic Greek: diacritics above long vowels ᾱ, ῑ, ῡ

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 16:27:35 -0700

#0 and #1 and #3 seem consistent with the 4 entries we've explored, and
this is interesting information, thank you.

About #2:
The entry of ἄγαν mentions that there is variation (always so much
variation we're confronted with for this dialect family!) between ᾰγᾱν
and ᾰγᾰν, in a note after the dictionary entry (you remembered cases
like this for your original email, I take it). It'll be great to see an
example of a superheavy syllable where LSJ doesn't reveal anything but
another dictionary will tell us about a distinction, but if breve/macron
usage there were to only indicate syllable weight (interpreted literally
as a "light or heavy?" bit value for the syllable in question), LSJ
wouldn't have bothered with this annotation.

(About my earlier question: It's dawning on me that perhaps someone just
precomposed whatever was typographically common or attested with some
frequency, with LSJ as a model, for which someone must have made decisions.)

Stephan