Re: Can a single text document use multiple character encodings?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:55:21 +0200

And you can see the ISO 2022 "plain-text" encoding also as a multipart
container format trasporting multiple document fragments which could have
their own local encoding (the encoding is specified by the ISO 2022
container that structures the text contents and their encodings.

You an also have container fomats containing streams that are themselves
containers for other internal streams (examples: an object database storage
format, or ZIP archives).

On the web the MIME multipart format is widely used not just for emails,
but may also apply to a single "web page" (which can embed subdocuments
instead of just referencing them by external references, the final redering
of the document being an assembly of multiple text streams parse separately
before being assembed).