Re: Why blackletter letters?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:32:10 -0700

On 9/10/2013 12:09 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2013, at 20:04, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> The proper thing would be to deprecate these accidental duplications forthwith.
> Nonsense. And blackletter isn't identical to Fraktur.
It is not different enough to base a character encoding distinction on
it. Why don't we code "times" and "garamond" shapes then as characters
as well.

> The proper thing to do is to use the new letters for the linguistic functions for which they were encoded, and to leave the math letters alone for the mathematicians and their complicated fonts.
This will inevitably end up with mathematical and linguistic documents
mis-coded, because people will select a shape from a drop down, and not
the character code (like you - being a character code maven - might do).

This is bad, much worse than duplicating near identical emoji.

A./