Re: Empty set

From: Alan Wood <alanmwood_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:17:47 +0100 (BST)

Stephan Stiller wrote > "braces" in English means just { }. Aside from the context of programming languages, braces are rare in English and German outside of math, > to the point they'll look esoteric; in ordinary math you see them only for sets. Anecdotally people in Germany always tell me of a mythical > parenthesis-bracket-brace hierarchy { [ ( ) ] }, which I've never actually encountered, and btw even the hierarchy [ ( ) ] isn't used by everyone. The { [ ( ) ] } hierarchy is used in chemical nomenclature.  It is specified by IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry).   For example: acetone (R)-O-{2-[4-(α,α,α-trifluoro-p-tolyloxy)phenoxy]propionyl}oxime   Alan Wood http://www.alanwood.net/ (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)