Re: Origin of Ellipsis (was: RE: Empty set)

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:14:49 -0700

Exactly my thoughts:
> In fonts commonly used for word processing and desktop publishing,
> HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS is usually not that well designed.
To me the dots appear too close in plenty of fonts.

> But I think that the most common cause of the appearance of HORIZONTAL
> ELLIPSIS is that Microsoft Office Word automatically changes a
> sequence of three FULL STOP characters to HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS.
I was gonna write the same thing. To spell out what's implicit: Too many
software/IT people, including at least one person with an influence on
Word, might have jumped to conclusions from the existence of the "…"
character to the idea that it's better to always use it.

Stephan