Re: Dotted Circle plus Combining Mark as Text

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:12:25 +0100

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:17:55 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> 2013/10/20 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>

> Interesting, so the list of "place holders" to support increases, we
> have:
> - whitespaces (including SP, NBSP, NNBSP, ZWSP, ideographic...)
> - arabic joiners
> - U+25CC (possibly also other geometric symbols)
> - dashes and hyphens

Add diagonal crosses, such as 'x', 'X' and U+00D7 MULTIPLICATION SIGN;
they are used for Lao (both Lao script and Tai Tham script), and I have
seen the cross used for Khmer. U+1D5D1 MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF SMALL X
and U+1D5B7 MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF CAPITAL X are particularly suitable
for the role - serifs are dispreferred.

Remove ZWSP - it is not a space (it has general category 'other,
format') and has no width, making it unsuitable as a place holder.

Richard.