Re: Terminology question re ASCII

From: Janusz S. Bien <jsbien_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:31:02 +0100

Quote/Cytat - David Starner <prosfilaes_at_gmail.com> (wto, 29 paź 2013,
07:51:59):

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com> wrote:
>> Normally the term ASCII just refers to the 7-bit form. What is sometimes
>> called "8-bit ASCII" is the same as ISO Latin 1. If you want to be
>> completely clear, you can say "7-bit ASCII".
>
> One of the first hits for "8-bit ASCII" on Google Books is "When the
> Mac came out. it supported 8-bit ASCII.", courtesy of "Introduction to
> Digital Publishing", by David Bergsland. (He also seems to be under
> the delusion that MS-DOS used 7-bit ASCII.) I don't think you can
> assume anything about 8-bit ASCII besides the lower bits (hopefully)
> begin compatible with ASCII.

Years ago on this very list there was already a similar thread. If I
remeber well, the author or co-author of the US standard more or less
equivalent to ISO Latin-1 has said that the draft of the standard had
title "8-bit ASCII".

Regards

JSB

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)