Re: Best practice of using regex on identify none-ASCII email address

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 20:37:39 +0100

How can it "suarprisingly work" if you need to safely embed an
email address as an URI in a plain text document ? Yes there's way to worak
with the IDNA part, but the local part is a challenge, that will require
(to make it work) that the mail server will accept several aliased account
names, depending on the document in which the address was embedded and
encoded before being dereferenced and used to send mails.

There's no easy way to embed the local part in plain-text when it can be
arbitrary sequences of bytes in the non-ASCII range, whose encoding in the
target domain name is unpredictable without first querying the MX server
for that domain for this info, or without retrying sending mails with
several guesses: these guesses with retries may cause privacy issues for
the legitimate owner of non-ASCII email accounts (another reasons for using
email of verification/confirmation of the owner, before sending him private
messages).