Re: Best practice of using regex on identify none-ASCII email address

From: Steffen <sdaoden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:10:13 +0100

Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
 |and all this is about interacting with SMTP servers in the SMTP protocol
 |(or related protocols). Nothing correctly describes the embedding in a text
 |document (plain-text, or even HTML, XML) that can itself be fully reencoded
 |(and that may not even accept all raw UTF-8 byte values) ! That's what
 |you've forgotten.

yup, that train has left the station long ago.

 |Using the %-escapes used only in the SMTP protocol makes the embedding in
 |documents really unreadable: this defeats completely the work done to
 |support native names in IDNA for the domain name part of the address, if
 |the local part can only be represented using %nn-escaped bytes of UTF-8
 |sequences.

Just like Bruce Schneier wrote in his September letter, though in
a slightly different context:

  Two, we can design. We need to figure out how to re-engineer the
  Internet

Nice prospects!

--steffen

attached mail follows:

2013/11/2 Steffen Daode <sdaoden_at_gmail.com>

> There is RFC 5322 which specifies the format of internet messages,
> and then there were the 3+ RFCs (RFC 6530-32) which simply
> redefine that format to be UTF-8 aware and its limits to deal with
> characters not octets (multiply line lengths etc. with 4).
> These UTF-8 extensions can only be used when directly interacting
> with a SMTP / (POP3, IMAP; RFCs 6856 and 6855 i think belong)
> server.

and all this is about interacting with SMTP servers in the SMTP protocol
(or related protocols). Nothing correctly describes the embedding in a text
document (plain-text, or even HTML, XML) that can itself be fully reencoded
(and that may not even accept all raw UTF-8 byte values) ! That's what
you've forgotten.

Using the %-escapes used only in the SMTP protocol makes the embedding in
documents really unreadable: this defeats completely the work done to
support native names in IDNA for the domain name part of the address, if
the local part can only be represented using %nn-escaped bytes of UTF-8
sequences.

So instead of reading and typing
    <café@glacé.example.net <http://xn--glac-epa.example.net>>
users will have to decipher (or type):
    <caf%C2%89_at_glacé.example.net>
Really poor ! Things would be better with:
    <?Q?UTF-8?café?@glacé.example.net <http://xn--glac-epa.example.net>>

which should work as long as all non-ASCII characters exist in both the
specified target encoding (UTF-8 here) and the envelope encoding (it could
be windows-1252 here, e.g. for this email from me, or the encoding chosen
during the transport to reach you in your mailbox).

Note also that the SMTP server configured in ISO-8859-1 will not accept