Odd "Unicode" Charset

From: Tom Gewecke <Tom_at_bluesky.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:18:04 -0700

Recently when troubleshooting an email problem for a Mac user, I came across an email with Content-Type charset="unicode". I had not seen this before. OS X Mail was reading it as Chinese text instead of Latin.
I did find something like this on the IANA list and understand there is an RFC from 1994 that provides info about it:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1641

which I think indicates that utf-16 is the correct interpretation. However Mail seems to get the bytes backwards, so 0061 a gets read as 6100 愀.

Does anyone know whether charset="unicode" is at all normal these days?