Re: Unicode Security Standard version 6.3 Released

From: Simon Montagu <smontagu_at_smontagu.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:20:48 +0200

On 11/15/2013 07:07 PM, announcements_at_unicode.org wrote:
> UTS #39 includes a new Restriction Level (*Single Script*), and a number
> of clarifications for confusable detection, restriction revels, and
> optional detection. It also contains a new section describing how the
> identifier data is generated. That identifier data has been expanded to
> include certain characters from /UAX #31: Unicode Identifier and Pattern
> Syntax <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/>/, a few extra characters
> allowed in IDNA2008 (Internationalized Domain Name Architecture,
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5890
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5890>), and certain characters based on
> user feedback. The version numbering has also been changed to align with
> versions of the Unicode Standard.

What is the reason for moving U+05B4 HEBREW POINT HIRIQ to
"recommended"? I had seen this change listed already in
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr39/tr39-6.html#Modifications, but
without context it seemed as if this one Hebrew point had been excluded
from the recommended characters (perhaps because it had been considered
a spoofing risk for U+002E) and was now to be included.

However I now realize that the opposite is the case: all other Hebrew
points are still classified as "limited-use", and U+05B4 alone is now
"recommended". I find this surprising and wonder if it was intentional
and if so why.