Re: [Lohit-devel-list] Handling Malayalam "NTA" issue for Lohit2

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:54:46 +0530

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, pravin.d.s_at_gmail.com
<pravin.d.s_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> In my humble opinion here one thing is very clear that Unicode forgot to
> add normalization (backward compatibility) for newly added sequence in (B).

Dear Pravin,

If by normalization you mean
http://www.unicode.org/glossary/#normalization -- then it is not
possible in this case since the individually encoded chillus do not
have canonical decomposition to their related consonants. Indeed, that
would defeat the purpose of the separate encoding, which was to
provide semantically distinct chillus!

The recent additional chillus trickling into the standard seems to
indicate that one should have encoded a CHILLU MARKER back then, but
there's no going back now, so chillus galore! ;-)

On a more serious note, I think it is important to adhere to the
standard, as it is good for you in the long run even though it is
difficult at first. If you delay the adoption of the standard, it only
gets all the harder as time passes, since in the interim even more
people continue to assume the old behaviour...

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा