Re: Aw: Commercial minus as italic variant of division sign in German and Scandinavian context

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:54:55 +0100

"Jörg Knappen", Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:26:10 +0100 (CET):
> The most important word in the comment on 00F7 ÷ DIVISION SIGN is
> "occasionally".
>
> In fact, the occasions are such rare that you can live a whole life
> in germany without encountering one of them.
>
> On the other hand, 00F7 ÷ DIVISION SIGN is used _frequently_ in
> german schoolbooks to denote ...
> division (books aimed at professionals doing math prefer : (COLON) or
> / (SLASH) for this purpose, but schoolbooks don't).

This sounds like Norway ...

> 2052 ⁒ commercial minus sign _always_ means subtraction and it has
> this shape (or the alternate shape ./.)
> in all contexts, roman or italic. It is not the italic version of
> some other symbol.

So, I can only once more emphasize that when I said ”italics” I meant
it the way Unicode already have many characters (primarily mathematical
ones) which are distinguished, in name, only by a reference to the
style of the letter. Hope this helps.

As for the clarity of 2052 ⁒ commercial minus sign, no, you are wrong.
While it is clear to you, in Germany, perhaps, at least in some
Scandinavian school contexts, it has a different meaning, namely as a
“well done” sign, from the teacher.

As for the Norwegian context, I guess we can say that the use of ÷
DIVISION SIGN as minus sing is more on the down than on the up. But it
has its contexts (and just last week, I received an ad for glasses were
it was used), and no one thinks about it. It is not an issue. When we
get the taxation form on paper or in PDF form, the division minus is
there, and everyone understands it correctly. (Knock on woods - *some*
probably stumbles.) They don’t every realize what they see - it is
knowledge that is unaccounted for. (For instance, until I took this up,
Wikipedia made no mention of it. Hah! Even Unicode 6.3 talks about the
”commercial minus sign” in _Scandinavian_ taxation forms, without (is
my claim) understanding that it talks about DIVISION SIGN. See my reply
to Asmus.)

So what I don’t want is that the ”untraditional” uses of ÷ DIVISION
SIGN are left in the dark as some strange traditions without any roots.
Also, I don't want the commercial minus to live a life as if it is such
a unique thing. Let us document things properly.

Leif Halvard Silli