Re: Arabic percent sign and percent signs in RTL scripts

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 00:51:09 +0000

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:37:06 +0200
"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> 2014-02-04 19:05, James Lin wrote:

> > For Arabic, percentage sign is fixed on the left side of the digit:
> > %10

> There seem to be different opinions and practices on this. In the
> CLDR database, the formats have “%” (the Ascii percent sign) on the
> right of the number, as far as I can see; Arabic inherits the root
> settings for percentages.

As far as I can *see* (perhaps there are hidden format characters in
the CLDR data), the '%' follows the digits, and so will occur on the
left if number plus percentage sign is flanked by Arabic text.
Character sequence <beh, 1, 2, 3, %, teh> yields, recording
right-to-left, glyph sequence <beh, 3, 2, 1, %, teh>. Both percentage
signs are bidi class ET ('European Terminator'), and the preceding
Arabic text converts the digits to class AN 'Arabic number' whichever
of the three sets of Arabic digits (DIGIT ZERO onwards, ARABIC-INDIC
DIGIT ZERO onwards or EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO onwards) is used.

Richard.