Re: proposal for new character 'soft/preferred line break'

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:41:37 +0200

2014-02-10 21:49, Richard Wordingham wrote:

> U+200B has the distinct advantage of being a character, and therefore
> readily travelling with the words it separates.

Granted, but it’s still a character that the rendering software needs to
know and support in order to have the desired effect. As I mentioned,
some legacy software try to render it as a graphic character, with poor
results. In contrast, in HTML, the <wbr> tag is safe in the sense that
when it does not work (some modern browser have oddities in this
respect), it gets ignored

> It's quite a useful
> character when dealing with inadequate or non-existent dictionaries for
> languages that don't have visible separators between words or,
> depending on line-breaking practice, syllables.

That is correct. Yet, it needs to be supported by the relevant software.

Yucca