RE: Hebrew Extended Block(s)

From: Robert Wheelock <rwhlk142_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:46:03 -0500

Hello!

There’s an empty subblock (U+00860 — U+0089F) with 64 empty codepoints
where we could put needed additional Hebrew characters in...

The (U+00860) column could house such things as:
·ḪAṬAF-ḪIRIQ (ḫiriq + shǝwaʾ)
·ḪAṬAF-QIBBUṢ (qibbuṣ + shǝwaʾ)
·TRUE SHURUQ POINT FOR WAW (point inside WAW, but slightly higher up)
·WAW WITH SHURUQ (WAW having the TRUE SHURUQ POINT inside)
·DOUBLY-POINTED SHIN (a SHIN with both ŚIN and SHIN points atop)
·DOUBLY-POINTED SHIN WITH DAGHESH (the preceding letter—only with an added
DAGHESH inside)
·WAW WITH DAGHESH AND ḪOLAM
·WAW WITH DAGHESH AND SHURUQ
·The 4 DIACRITICAL POINTS ABOVE (single, double horizontal, triple up
triangle, and quad squared) used to extend the Hebrew alphabet to new
sounds for other Jewish languages (Judeo-Arabic, ...)
·VARIQAʾ HAFUKH (for the same purpose)
·GALGAL HAFUKH (to write the Yiddish palatals—instead of using a double
yudh ligature; also extended to ʿAYIN for writing an /e/ vowel in Yiddish)

The remaining 48 codepoints (U+00870 — U+0089F) could house additional
letters that’re used in other Jewish languages (Hebrew letters with points
above that mimic those on the corresponding Arabic letters). Research
needs to be done to determine the most-widely used of those (keeping in
mind that those based on KAF, MEM, NUN, PEʾ, and ṢADHEH require 2
codepoints each—the 1st for its final form, followed by a 2nd for its
regular form) to assign to these 48 codepoints.

The remainder of those marked letter—along with variant cantillation
signs—will need another codepoint subblock to reside at... we got (at
least) 3 variant cantillation systems—each with their own vowel points and
reading signs; besides those, we also have occasionally- and rarely-used
supplemental marked Hebrew letters. We should also reserve (at least) a
codepoint for the YHWH TETRAGRAMMATON.

Shalom!
Thank You!