RE: Does regular Unicode have a character that looks like a space to a human yet is not treated as a space by software please?

From: Phillips, Addison <addison_at_lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:07:16 +0000

The thread on serif.com discusses formatting of poetry in a Kindle book. The problem is that the author would like to indent two lines.

You don't want to do that by using a character that "looks like a space" yet isn't seen by the software to be a space. This would break features like dictionary lookup on the first word on each of those lines. The actual solution is to style the text as indented. There are some guidelines on the KDP site.

   http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511
   https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A17W8UM0MMSQX6#para

One way to achieve the desired goal is to use the 'margin' and 'text-align' CSS styles.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)