RE: Bidi reordering of soft hyphen

From: Whistler, Ken <ken.whistler_at_sap.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 20:31:08 +0000

Richard Wordingham noted:

> As U+2010 HYPHEN would result in text like 'car-', in an English

> influenced context I would also go with 'car-'.

That's always a possibility, I suppose, but I'm not sure what

"English influenced context" means here.

The examples I just gave were for a RTL paragraph context.

In a LTR paragraph context, the same input would end up in

a very different order:

Trace: Entering br_UBA_ReverseLevels [L2]

Current State: 19

  Text: 05D0 05D1 05D2 0020 0063 0061 0072 002D

  Bidi_Class: R R R L L L L L

  Levels: 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0

  Runs: <L-----------------------------------L>

  Order: [2 1 0 3 4 5 6 7]

And you get the display:

CBA car-

As opposed to:

-car CBA

In either case, the hyphen-minus (or hyphen), ends up at the *end of the line*.

My take is that *if* I am going to insert a visible glyph at the point of the

SHY, it would probably be best to insert it at the actual line break at the

end of the line, to be in the same position as an explicit hyphen-minus with

the same line break.

--Ken