Re: FYI: More emoji from Chrome

From: Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:07:44 +0600

On 02/04/2014, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> Now that it's no longer April 1st (at least not here in Japan), I can
> add a (moderately) serious comment.

Long past April 1 here too - I'd already forgotten. ;-)

>>> More emoji from Chrome:
>>>
>>> http://chrome.blogspot.ch/2014/04/a-faster-mobiler-web-with-emoji.html
>>>
>>> with video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NXNnoGr3Y
>>
>> I do not know… The demos leave me completely unimpressed: emoji — by
>> their nature — require higher resolution than text, so an emoji for
>> “pie” does not save any place comparing to the word itself. So the
>> impact of this on everyday English-languare communication would not be
>> in any way beneficial.
>
> This is somewhat different for Japanese (and languages with similar
> writing systems) because they have higher line height.
>
> Regards, Martin.

So CJK glyphs take up similar space to that needed to display an emoji
character. - Presumably the individual Han ideographs for "pie",
"dumpling" or "turd" would save as much screen space as using the
corresponding emoji pictographs. Once there were enough emoji to
carry on a conversation above the level of a 4 year old, they would
also require an IME as complex as that needed for entering CJK text.