Re: ["Unicode"] Re: FYI: More emoji from Chrome

From: suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki_at_hiroshima-u.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 21:00:42 +0900

On 04/02/2014 08:26 PM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> On 2014/04/02 20:08, Christopher Fynn wrote:
>>>
>>> One wonders why the Japanese, who already know Han ideographs, took to
>>> emoji as they did....
>>
>> Perhaps because emoji are a sort of playful version of a means of
>> communication they are already used to
>
> Yes. Already used to the concept that a character can represent (more or less) a concept. Already used to the concept that there are lots of characters, and a few more won't make such a difference. Already used to the concept that character entry means keying a word or phrase and the selecting what you actually want.
>
> But I think the main reason for their spread was that the mobile phone companies introduced them and young people found them cute.
>
> In a followup, Line (http://line.me/en/), the most popular Japanese mobile message app (similar to WhatsApp) got popular mostly because of their gorgeous collection of 'stickers' (over 10,000), fortunately after realizing that the technically correct way to deal with them was not squeezing them into the PUA, but treating them as inline images, avoiding headaches down the line for the Unicode Consortium :-).

Utilization of the words including rarely-used Han ideograph requests
the deep knowledge about Chinese classics (except of the cases like
"what is the most complex kanji?"). It is too hard for modern Japanese
people who prefers video media than text media.

I think the wide acceptance of new emojis and stickers (Japanese LINE
users call as "stamp") by Japanese young people does not mean that
they have something hard to express by existing characters or emoticons.
Collecting them is something like an ambition to encode all comedy skits.

Regards,
mpsuzuki