RE: The application of localized read-out labels

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:40:15 -0700

William_J_G Overington <wjgo underscore 10009 at btinternet dot com>
wrote:

> My reason for putting "This is a thought experiment at present." was
> that the format has not been tested by me in practical application and
> is only theoretically based at the present time,

It's not, of course. It's specified in enough detail that conformant
files could be created, and consumed by an application.

> yet I am hoping that the situation may change and that the format
> might become implemented in practice by someone and become widely
> used; or maybe that the publication of the format will act as a
> catalyst to someone publishing a format that is accepted, so that the
> end result of a standardized format is achieved.

It could be argued that this is at least part of the hypothesis for the
"experiment." The expected result, not quite stated, is that the format
will in fact be used, or will in fact stimulate the creation of a
similar format.

Because, of course, if there is no hypothesis, then this is neither a
Gedankenexperiment nor any other kind of experiment, just an exercise in
creating a file format, which is engineering.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell