Re: Indic Syllabic Categories

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 08:20:05 +0100

On Mon, 12 May 2014 18:43:04 +0000
"Whistler, Ken" <ken.whistler_at_sap.com> wrote:

> Richard Wordingham asked:

> > Is the provisional property 'Indic_Syllabic_Category' defined by
> > anything deeper than the UCD file IndicSyllabicCategory itself?

> Basically, no.

Thanks for answering the question.

There are two aspects to the evaluation of values. The first is what
the values there are to chose from, for which the recent UTC meeting
planned to consider a proposed refinement. The second is what values
are assigned to each character.

The 'implied script behaviours' will be the most difficult one to
review - where are we to find them?

In SE Asia, there's a clutch of characters that have multiple
functions, even within the same writing system. Should we contemplate
assigning multiple roles to characters? It would make more sense to do
so for tasks like checking syllable structure.

Richard.