Re: Characters that should be displayed?

From: David Starner <prosfilaes_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 23:42:15 -0700

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> Applications that operate on plain text and use one fixed but configurable
> font are a much better example. If you need to use, say, a currency symbol
> that has not yet been added to Unicode but can be included in the font, then
> a Private Use codepoint is the only good way

Or record the character using some form of escape. I'm not thinking of
many applications that operate on plain text that aren't processed
before display to an end user, and there's a reason why currency is
recorded by 3 ASCII characters.

> In HTML, on the other hand, you can instead use images, and CSS lets you
> scale the images to the font size if desired

And that's problematic, for the exact same reasons using images of
text is always problematic. It can't be copy and then searched for or
pasted, and you practically have to write it in ASCII or PUA and
transliterate it into references to images.

PUA is never necessary if you have your own application, as you can
transfer data in whatever format with your own application. It's most
useful with standard formats, like HTML and email, where the PUA lets
someone use letters or scripts almost like they were encoded.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.