Re: Characters that should be displayed?

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi_at_gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:35:22 +0000

Thank you all for this a lot of great feedback. I learned a lot.

I, however, still don’t get one thing. In the spec text:

Surrogate code points, private-use characters, and control characters are not given the Default_Ignorable_Code_Point property. To avoid security problems, such characters or code points, when not interpreted and not displayable by normal rendering, should be displayed in fallback rendering with a fallback glyph

How could displaying missing PUA glyph help security? I can imagine address bar could have such security risks, but this is about rendering. I can imagine 0x00 could lead to buffer overflow attacks, but it looks to me that preventing such characters inserted into DOM is safer, though I admit that I’m not professional in security at all.

I understand some here wants to display them to help users to identify broken characters, some consider it doesn’t help users at all. I tend to agree with the later, but either way, it’s about helping users to fix their documents.

Anyone knows what security risks the spec is talking about?

/koji