Re: Characters that should be displayed?

From: Christopher Fynn <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 11:20:37 +0600

On 30/06/2014, David Starner <> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <>
> wrote:
>> They might be seen as “not displayable by normal rendering”, so yes. On
>> the
>> practical side, although Private Use characters should not be used in
>> public
>> information interchange, they are increasingly popular in “icon font”
>> tricks.

> Since when is HTML necessarily public information interchange? I can't
> imagine where you would better use private use characters then in HTML
> where a font can be named but you don't have enough control over the
> format to enter the data in some other format.

If the font specified in the CSS has glyphs for those characters they
should be displayed.
There are also some Chinese national standards (do they count as a
"private" agreement?) that make use of use of PUA and supplementary
PUA characters - and quite a few web pages using them.

- C

Unicode mailing list