Aw: Ambiguous hyphenation cases with

From: Jörg Knappen <jknappen_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:15:43 +0200
With TeX and LaTeX there is an elegant solution.

TeX has the primitive \discretionary{prebreak}{postbreak}{nobreak}, which spells out like
\discretionary{t-}{}{}
for the insertion of an additional t at hyphenation. It also handles cases like the traditional german hyphenation
of ck as k-k with
\dicscretionary{c-}{}{k}

The Babel system (inspired by german.sty) includes nifty shorthands like "t and "c for this cases.

The semantics of U+00AD (SOFT HYPHEN) is too primitive to implement this kind of behaviour, the same is true for &shy; in HTML.

--Jörg Knappen