Re: And what happened to...

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:09:26 +0100

On 8 October 2014 01:23, Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org> wrote:

> The other thing I wanted to ask about has, sure enough, disappeared. It's the only Han character I'm following. The infamous Biang-Biang Noodle character, discussed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biangbiang_noodles The WP page said it was scheduled for Extension E (I know it says Extension F now: I changed it), which has already been passed, so I looked through the IRG web site and read up on a bunch of discussion tracing its fate.

The character was part of Unicode's Urgently Needed Characters (UNC)
submission of 19 characters to IRG in 2013
(http://appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~irg/irg/irg40/IRGN1936_UTC_UNC.zip),
but other IRG members had concerns about biang and some other
characters in the submission, and so Unicode's UNC resubmission in
2014 (http://appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~irg/irg/irg42/IRGN2005_UTC_UNC.zip)
was reduced to five characters, with all controversial or questioned
characters removed. Those five characters are currently scheduled for
inclusion in Unicode 9.0, but biang remains in limbo.

On the other hand, I am pleased to see that yet another two variants
of the character 邊 biān (for which there are already 21 Ideographic
Variation Sequences defined) are scheduled for encoding at 2DD84 and
2DD85 (http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n4637.pdf).

The situation is highly unsatisfactory, but in my opinion the whole
CJK encoding process is highly unsatisfactory.

Andrew