Re: fonts for U7.0 scripts

From: Andreas Stötzner <as_at_signographie.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:08:17 +0200

Am 23.10.2014 um 10:46 schrieb Andrew West:

> A code chart
> font, released under a free license such as the SIL OFL (with any
> necessary limitations clearly stated) is far and away better than
> leaving people puzzling over little square boxes for years.

what are you mourning about?
If you need a certain font just go down and hire a font designer. Then you’ll get anything you want, as usual.
When you’re not in the position to commission such work yourself, convince third parties to fund the work which is needed to be done.

I am a font producer and I have provided fonts/sets of glyphs for code chart purpose twice (traffic signs, old Albanian).
In doing so I have participated in funding the encoding process. Other parties have funded SEI font work for encoding. No more, no less, as Asmus Freytag puts it precisely. That is one thing. But supplying fonts for editorial use to someone else is another thing. That cannot be the task of standardization bodies.

Am 23.10.2014 um 00:58 schrieb Asmus Freytag:

> Nothing prevents people to put their fonts in the public domain, if they so desire, but that can't be a requirement of the character encoding process.

Absolutely right.

best regards,

        Andreas Stötzner.

Andreas Stötzner Gestaltung Signographie Fontentwicklung

Haus des Buches
Gerichtsweg 28, Raum 434
04103 Leipzig
0176-86823396